October 1, 2007

whew! that was a close one!


My three year old drew a picture in my boyfriend's book. Usually, she draws smiley faces and lots of 'em. This time she drew a smiley face, but the mouth looked like a huge up-side down "D" and it was full of TEETH. I found the drawing long after the fact. Frankly, I was kind of impressed by the detail in it. My boyfriend was not amused.

"This isn't funny", he said, "you have to punish her".

"But how? I didn't catch her in the act".


"Well, you don't have to spank her, but she should know that it's not alright to color in books. I mean, I know this is just an off the shelf paperback, but I do have some rare books that cost a lot of money. She can't do this".

I suppose he could tell by the smirk on my face that I was not serious about punishing her. He took matters in to his own hands.

A smiling perky three year old entered the bedroom.

"Lillian, I'm mad at you", he said. "You drew in my book".

(At this point, Lillian put her hands over her ears and continued smiling).

"You can't draw in books. I got you a bunch of paper. You can color on your paper. Drawing in books is bad".

(hands drop down from ears and head drops to a contrite posture)

"I sorry".

"That's OK, I forgive you".

Could anyone stay angry at this child for long???

4 comments:

Joseph H. Vilas said...

Especially not while she has her finger up her nose. :)

Not Jennifer Gibbs said...

I could, but I'm a horrible a-hole who hates children.

Anonymous said...

I'm already angry just looking at her. She appears to be the kind of kid who would enjoy breaking my stuff.

Laurita said...

I'm not letting any of you near my children. :)